Too Good to Be True


As a missionary, I usually avoid traveling anywhere unless hospitality is extended to me. However, the Lord led me to take a train ride to California this past week using an Amtrak rail pass. Not having any connections in the Bay Area, I logged onto Hotels.com to search for a motel room close to the train station. Despite them being overpriced, I reserved a room for two nights at the Bay Bridge Inn.

Then the day before leaving Omaha (where I taught evangelism at a house church), I went on Booking.com. Previously, I used that website to get a motel room in San Antonio. This time I found the above listing for a hotel in Alameda offering rooms for only $20 per night. Thinking this was divine favor, I booked that room and canceled my other reservation. While telling a few friends about this deal, I perceived something wasn’t right.


My train arrived late at the Emeryville Amtrak station. So I tried calling the Lieber Hotel to postpone my prearranged check-in time. There was no answer. Emails were sent to them and Booking.com, but I couldn’t reach a live person. Realizing this could be a scam, I went on Hotels.com and rebooked the room at the Bay Bridge Inn. A later investigation on Google Maps showed no Lieber Hotel at their listed address. Fortunately, my bank card information wasn't stored on Booking.com. Therefore, this phantom hotel didn’t get any money from me despite them wanting to charge a cancellation fee.


This incident is a reminder if something looks too good to be true, it probably is. Over the years, a few Christians approached me with business opportunities promising large income streams. I don’t recall any of these schemes panning out for them. Meanwhile, God continues to meet my needs as I focus on obeying the Great Commission. As Rodney Howard-Browne says, “Go for souls, and the money will come.”


“Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?