Don’t Be Fuelish

In 1973, the Ad Council started releasing a series of public service announcements urging Americans to “Don’t Be Fuelish.” In one of them, actor James Garner complained of numerous cars on the highway with only one person in them because of a purported gas shortage. Fran Tarkenton made similar remarks in another TV ad. Although the Minnesota Vikings quarterback was my favorite player then, I disagree with this propaganda. We still have plenty of fuel fifty years later. Unfortunately, we have an occupant in the White House hindering American oil production in the name of “climate change.” 

Those old PSAs came to my remembrance after an incident that happened two weeks ago. While walking home one night, a man parked at a gas pump asked if I needed a ride. Thinking this might be a blessing from the Lord, I answered, “Yes.” He then asked how far I live from there. I said, “About a mile.” He then requested a couple of bucks for gas. As I pondered what to do, this man suddenly asked for $4. I walked away but heard him say, “How about $3?” It then occurred to me that man might have needed gas in his car. Regardless, I was turned off with him suddenly asking for more money. 


It’s possible the man used an “empty gas tank” as a ruse to extract money from people. I’ve seen this happen before. Once while I walked by a self-serve gas station in Tampa, Florida, two men standing by a car asked me for money to help them get home. I didn't have much on me, but was willing to put $2 worth of fuel in their tank. After I went into the station, the cashier informed me those men had been mooching money all day. I then left without making a purchase.


Another time during a street evangelism outreach in Minneapolis, a man approached my team with a gas can and asked for money. He claimed his car got stalled on the freeway a short distance away. A pastor with me offered to fill up this man’s can if he followed us to a nearby gas station. He hesitated, and then claimed the gas wouldn’t be enough to get him home. This beggar wasn’t honest with us.


Christians should be willing to help the needy, including stranded drivers. However, that doesn’t include con artists the devil uses to try to steal money from us.


“Getting treasures by a lying tongue is the fleeting fantasy of those who seek death.” 

- Proverbs 21:6


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?