6 Reasons I Unfollow Friends on Facebook


Social media is a powerful tool I use for ministry. It has also been a distraction. Many of us will admit to spending hours scrolling through our news feeds. I enjoy the occasional humor and cute pet photos. Still, a lot of frivolous things appear I don’t care to see and read. A few are insulting, such as saying I’m “old” if I recognize a particular item.

I don’t mean to be critical of what people post on their social media pages. That’s their business. Fortunately, there’s a way to stay connected with select individuals without unfriending them and having their posts appear in my news feed. I’ve been unfollowing Facebook friends who repeatedly do the following:

  1. Make too many posts. I’ve seen as much as forty a day by some folks (rarely do I exceed two or three). I don’t need the same individuals overwhelming my news feed. There are other friends I want to hear from.
  2. Post chain letters, hoaxes, and memes that contain profanity.
  3. Make requests for money. Some ministers send me friend requests with dollar signs in their eyes. They need to look to God as their source.
  4. Post a bunch of political stuff but little spiritual content. One can stay up-to-date on current events but focus more on heavenly matters. Colossians 3:2 says, "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth."
  5. Criticize ministers I like such as Jesse Duplantis, Kenneth Copeland, and Joel Osteen.
  6. Preach unscriptural doctrines like universal reconciliation. When necessary, I’ll unfriend and block individuals who persist in pushing their opinions on my pages and through private messages.

The Internet provides a sounding board in response to things happening in the world and our lives. Nevertheless, Christians should be mindful of how they represent God on social media. I hope my list will inspire folks to be prayerful about what they post online. Let’s seek to build up the brethren and share more things with eternal value.


“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” - Philippians 4:8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?