Invitation Evangelism

While growing up in the 1970s, I saw a public service announcement on TV in which family members were sitting around at home on a Sunday morning. Meanwhile, an announcer said, “People have said they would come to church if only someone invited them.” Then it showed a congregation walking into a church building as the announcer said, “Our doors are open.” Sometimes it takes a friendly invitation to get an individual into the house of the Lord.

Before I got saved in early 1991, thoughts went through my mind about going back to church. I resisted taking that initial step. The traditional Lutheran church my parents made me attend gave me negative perceptions of Christianity. Then one Sunday morning, my then-girlfriend invited me to visit her church. That invitation to Living Word Christian Center eventually resulted in a radical transformation of my life. I got filled with the Holy Spirit and became a full-time minister.


Recently a fellow evangelist wrote a Facebook post criticizing “church evangelism.” He noticed many Christians inviting friends and loved ones to church without sharing the gospel. I agree the Great Commission should focus on leading people to Jesus. When evangelizing, I usually avoid talking about the church I attend until after someone gets saved. The tracts I use mention Hebrews 10:25 on the back, but I always tell them, “Ask God to show you which church He wants you to go to.” Occasionally a sinner will ask about my church before receiving salvation. However, I focus back on getting born again first.


Sometimes invitation evangelism bears fruit with outreach events. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association developed Operation Andrew as a means of inviting people to crusades where they can hear the gospel. During the late 1990s, I worked for Billy’s film ministry World Wide Pictures. My job was scheduling evangelistic movies shown during church services. Pastors later shared testimonies of visitors getting saved or recommitting their lives to the Lord after seeing a movie. Living Word has a Christmas program every December to attract people that don't go to church consistently. Pastor Mac has a call for salvation at the end.


Forms of invitation evangelism can be found in the gospel of John. In chapter 1…


40 One of the two who heard John speak, and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. 

41 He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated, the Christ). 

42 And he brought him to Jesus.


Look what happened in chapter 4 after Jesus read a Samaritan woman’s mail…


28 The woman then left her waterpot, went her way into the city, and said to the men, 

29 “Come, see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” 

30 Then they went out of the city and came to Him.


Once again, the purpose of evangelism is to get people saved. I believe every Christian should develop boldness and confidence in leading sinners to salvation. However, let’s not stop inviting people to church. It has resulted in people getting born again.


“I was glad when they said to me, ‘Let us go into the house of the Lord.’” - Psalm 122:1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?