My Favorite Praise and Worship Songs

One thing that repelled me from Christianity during my youth was outdated-sounding music in churches, Christian nights at roller rinks, and on religious radio stations. After committing my life to the Lord in 1991, it took me awhile to appreciate praise and worship songs. Eventually, I started an Internet radio station and shared some of my favorites. Here are a few that I still like to this day:

“A Shield About Me” - When first attending Living Word Christian Center, I wasn’t fond of their worship band’s repertoire. One exception was this song based on Psalm 3:3. I particularly liked a synthesized string sound the keyboard player added to the arrangement. Unfortunately, the Living Word band never recorded this song for one of their CDs. However, I found this version by The Maranatha! Singers.


“Right Now” - In March 1995, Bazil Howard-Browne held a series of meetings at a church in Elk River, Minnesota. His worship leader David Vanderver often sang this song about feeling the Holy Ghost. When Bazil came back to Elk River in June, I sat in one meeting and suddenly desired hearing “Right Now” again. I started crying when David sang it minutes later. In early 1996, a friend bought a cassette that included this song. She let me borrow the tape after noticing my heavy weeping while “Right Now” played in her car. The Lord used the song to bring much inner healing to me.


“Sweet Wind” - This is the opening track from the Vineyard Music CD “Winds of Worship - Volume 3”, which was recorded at the church known for the Toronto Blessing. In 1996, God used that David Ruis song to confirm Him leading me to leave my job and go to Toronto where I would live for a season. Another David Ruis song I like on this album is "We Will Dance."


“Undignified” - Matt Redman wrote this uptempo number, which has been covered by many Christian artists. The first version I heard was from the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship CD “Catch the Fire 4.” Worship leader Robert Critchley exhorted the congregation to “be a little bananas for Jesus.” Whenever needing a shot of joy, I dance around to this song and start laughing. In recent years, I’ve listened to this techno version by DJ Salty Flavor.


“The Lord Reigns” - During a return visit to TACF in January 1999, I was surprised and delighted to hear Robert Critchley playing a song like this. Its synthesized arpeggio reminded me of Duran Duran’s “Hungry Like the Wolf.” Until then, I rarely heard church music with a techno-pop sound. 


“Creation Calls” - Written by Brian Doerksen, this version by Lindell Cooley often played after Steve Hill’s altar calls at the Brownsville Revival. God used this recording to confirm Him directing me to make another trip to Pensacola in August 1999. One Wednesday afternoon, I felt led to come to Living Word early for that evening’s service. As I walked into the atrium, “Creation Calls” played in the background. That was unusual. Instrumental music was normally heard on the sound system.


“Even So” - Terry MacAlmon is a worship leader who used to work with Benny Hinn. My friend and fellow missionary John Loewen exposed me to Terry’s music during one of our first road trips together. This track is from his first album. Subsequent albums have other songs I like include “Precious Lamb of God” and “How Long.”


“Now to Live the Life” - This is another Matt Redman composition. In 2003, I briefly stayed with a family who lived near Santa Barbara, California. They loaned me a laptop computer that only had this song in its music library. In addition to the synthesized sounds and rhythm loops, I like the lyrics which say, “All we want to do is bring you something real/Bring you something true.”


“Reign” - During my years of programming Signs & Wonders Radio, I always looked out for innovative music to add to the station’s playlist. A pastor friend had Joe Sabolick’s “Reign” album on his laptop. I copied it onto mine and immediately liked the title song. The lyrics encourage Christians to obey the Great Commission. I wish more songs like this were heard in our churches. Another favorite from this album is “Freedom”, which to me sounds like a sanctified version of Loverboy’s “The Kid is Hot Tonite.”


“No One But You” - Because of increased usage of filler syllables (often called the “millennial whoop”), I’ve cut back on listening to terrestrial Christian stations. Many of the songs seem to sound alike and lack originality. However, I first heard this one by Hillsong Worship over a year ago while driving around in a friend’s car. It took some online research to find out the title and artist. It’s now one of my go-to songs when I want to enter into God’s presence.


There are many other songs I could include on this list. Hopefully, there will be more good ones to add in the future.


Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy.” - Psalm 33:3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Toking the Ghost Revisited

Is That Gold Dust Real?