11 Books That Helped Me Grow Spiritually

The Bible is the all-time best seller. Unfortunately, there are believers reluctant to read it. One reason is they have an older translation that’s hard to understand. Others may start reading in Genesis and become disinterested when going through the genealogies. When ministering to individuals who don’t have a Bible, I usually give them a gospel of John in a newer translation unless they ask for a King James Version

As a young Christian, I read many books based on God’s word that helped me grow in my knowledge of Him. Here are eleven that made a difference in my life:


“Don’t Stop the Music” by Dana Key - Dana was part of DeGarmo & Key, one of the first  successful Christian rock groups. “Don’t Stop the Music” is a rebuttal to the anti-“Christian Rock” position of some well-known preachers. It assured me God can use any kind of music that glorifies Him. I met Dana in 1994 after a performance and had him sign my copy of his book. Four years later, I mailed the book to a disc jockey friend in Germany. That inspired him to start a Christian disco there.


“Armageddon: Appointment with Destiny” by Grant Jeffrey - Hal Lindsey’s “The Late Great Planet Earth” is probably the best-known book about Bible prophecy. However, I was drawn more to the writings of Canadian author Grant Jeffrey. “Armageddon” explained how mortal men cannot predict future events with 100% accuracy. It inspired me to read more of Grant’s books and learn about why we are living in the last days.


“Battlefield of the Mind” by Joyce Meyer - Next to the Bible, I consider this the most powerful book I’ve ever read. Joyce talks about various thinking patterns people have that are unscriptural. Many of which I’ve been guilty of such as letting my mind wander. I went through spiritual warfare when applying God’s word to my thought life. God gave us a mind to use, but we are to bring “…every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5)


“Longing to Be Loved” by C. S. Lovett - I bought this one in 1996. The author wrote about how we can develop a closer relationship with the Lord. One suggestion he made was doing a ten-day water and honey fast. I would do two of those later in the year. I believe the fasts helped prepare me to receive much inner healing during a two-month stay in Toronto.


“Prayer and Fasting” by Kingsley Fletcher - Just before leaving for my first Germany trip in 1998, a friend gave me this book. I read it while traveling to different parts of the country. The book inspired me to live a fasted lifestyle. I noticed how much better I felt when not eating so much.


“Thus Saith the Lord?” by John Bevere - By 1999, I cut back on buying books but had an interest in this one. I asked the Lord to have someone give me a copy if He wanted me to read it. Not long afterward, a friend gave me this book, which cautions believers not to blindly accept every “word” given to them. We shouldn’t feel guilty in rejecting those that don’t bear witness with our spirit.


“The First 30 Years: A Journey of Faith” by Kenneth and Gloria Copeland - I bought this one in late 2000, just before leaving my job to go on the mission field. One testimony that encouraged me was when Kenneth went to school full-time at Oral Roberts University. He, his wife, and their two children had moved to Tulsa by faith. Kenneth had no job or money to pay for tuition. On the day Kenneth showed up to register for classes, God had already provided the money through a check dropped off at his father’s workplace. Moments later, he landed a job flying Oral Roberts’ airplane. Another thing I remember from this book was Kenneth saying he never asks people for money or a place to preach. I’ve since followed those rules for myself.


“The Cross and the Switchblade” by David Wilkerson - Over 15 million copies of this book have been published in numerous languages. David’s story was made into a movie starring Pat Boone. I first heard of the movie while working for Billy Graham’s film ministry. We occasionally received inquiries for “Switchblade” from pastors who thought the movie was one of our productions. During a 2001 road trip through upstate New York, my driver made a pit stop at a convenience store that gave away copies of “The Cross and the Switchblade.” One thing I remember from the book involved some of those going through Teen Challenge. They weren’t delivered from drug addiction until they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I now offer to lead people to receive that baptism if they struggle with certain addictions.


“Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage” by Kenneth E. Hagin - When I first started going to Living Word Christian Center, they gave me two books by Brother Hagin. One called “The Believer’s Authority” teaches on the spiritual power available to Christians. I’ve since read many other books by Brother Hagin, but “Marriage” probably helped me the most. I bought this book after my estranged wife left me for my best friend. A believer shouldn’t feel guilty if their wayward spouse doesn’t want to make their marriage work.


“Tramp for the Lord” by Corrie ten Boom - Corrie’s first book “The Hiding Place” illustrated her experiences as a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp. This sequel is about Corrie’s subsequent travels around the world. While visiting a friend in Berlin, Germany, I noticed he had a copy of “Tramp.” The back cover stated, “Her bags are packed and she's ready to leave on still another journey for the Lord.” After I mentioned that described me, my friend offered to give me the book. I read it during a train ride to the Netherlands and later donated the book to the Corrie Ten Boom house while visiting there.


“Moving in Glory Realms” by Joshua Mills - I’ve seen Joshua minister many times...mostly at Calvary Campground in Ashland, Virginia. During their 2019 Winter Campmeeting, a friend bought signed copies of this book and gave me one of them. I took my time reading “Glory Realms” because there were lots to digest. I didn’t want to speed-read but glean from the many revelations Joshua received. If your Christian walk seems dull and boring, “Moving in Glory Realms” can help inject new life into it.


Certainly we should not neglect reading the Bible itself. However, we can learn powerful truths from others who have studied it. What books have impacted you?


“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” - 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel Soul Winning Script

Is That Gold Dust Real?

Toking the Ghost Revisited